Sunday, September 03, 2006
Branded
So, this did not take long. I am reading a book called Branded: the buying and selling of teenagers by Alissa Quart. In her book she discusses how youth today are caught up in brand names. She talks about how ad execs focus their marketing on teenagers because they are the most susceptible. I was looking back at my own upbringing and realized that this has been happening for years. My family shops at Target not Kmart or Walmart (not really "brand" names, but...). I find myself becoming snobbish about Walmart and Kmart, because I think Target is superior. I also am more likely to like Ann Taylor Loft or The Limited than Dots, because they know styles. I wonder what would happen to our economy if we stopped paying attention to brand names and only purchased generics? Would the world stop functioning? Would our country become one of the poorest instead of one of the richest? Food for thought.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment